The primary distinction between spirits and ghosts as understood by other researchers, is that ghosts are earthbound, whereas spirits have allegedly passed on to the light and are free to move between realms. Both types are known as incarnates.
Phantoms- These are ghosts which so closely resemble the living that they are often not realized as ghosts until they do something uncanny, like walk through a wall.
1) Phantom Hitchhikers - According to many urban legends, these are ghosts who typically interact with the living in such a way that they ask for a ride, and before arriving at the destination, they mysteriously disappear. Usually occurs on the anniversary of their death.
2) Phantom Travelers - Ghosts that are found along a certain route, usually as a result of a deadly accident . They can be riding horses, or prepared to board a train or plane. Most manifest on the anniversary of their death.
Apparitions- Ghosts which are clearly such are known as apparitions. There are several different categories:
1) Atmospheric- Also known as a residual or replay haunting, these are typically seen in only one location repeating a certain action again and again, usually something attached to a traumatic event.
2)Crisis or Deathbed- These appear to family or friends around the time of death. According to Trent Brandon: "They are very common ghost sightings, but almost never occur more than four days after death."
3) Family- Ghosts which are connected to a particular family, they often foretell death and disaster.
4) Haunted Objects - Instead of haunting a location, a particular object is the anchor for a ghost.
5) Object Apparitions- Manifestations of ghostly items which can be natural or man made objects.
6)Photographic- Ghosts that are not seen until after a photo is taken and examined. These MAY include orbs, mists, (ectoplasm) vortexes, shadows and other unusual light or optical effects. Many debate whether they are actually ghosts, spirits, or souls. There are a lot of investigators and psychics that feel as though they are some kind of energetic, spiritual imprint or byproduct.
7) Historical- These are like atmospheric except they have can be seen in more than one location going about their business. Non-interactive, so they would fall into Location Based. Typically dressed in period clothing and often appear solid.
8) Recurring- Ghosts that appear on a certain time schedule or anniversary;usually annually.
9) Modern- As Historical, but they resemble more contemporary people.
10) Transportation- Also known as Phantom Craft under Location Based, they are often associated with the final moments of some tragic accident. The wreckage itself can attach energy in such a way as to become haunted. There are some kinds that are not necessarily relegated to one location, but can be seen anywhere that it would have normally been seen in per-spirit existence. The Flying Dutchman is a famous example and is usually sighting one is a bad omen.
11) Marian - What some believe to be appearances of theVirgin Mary. This could also cover cameos by other saints or religious/spiritual figures.
12) Out of Body- The appearance of a living person who is actually in another location. They are not necessarily ill or dying, and can be either solid or
translucent. Some claim to recall their OBE (out of body experience) and can give verifiable details about the location they were seen. Probably related to
13) Battlefield - Also known as floating battlefields, they resemble an actual reenactment of war, but for some reason, they typically occur above the ground. From several to a hundred feet up, in some cases.
14) Grey Ladies- The ghosts of women who died in sadness over love or betrayal. Can be white, grey or black.
15) Classic Haunting - Also known as aEntity Haunting, it is defined as an interactive ghost which does not fall into any special category such as those mentioned above. Can be a phantom, apparition, presence, or unexplained events which occur in a certain location.
16) Graveyard Specters - Also known as shells or shades, these are believed to be the etherealremnants of a person after death. Commonly found in graveyards days or weeks after a burial, they are scary but not dangerous. Typically seen asdark, shadowy formsthey usually do not communicate or talk. Legend has it that people were buried alive in new graveyards to create a guardian, known as an ankou.
17) Ethereal Revenant- A very rare, but dangerous undead creature that feeds upon energy from the living, it is the original vampire of legend. This is detailed more in John Greer's book "Monsters".
Here are two of the most intriguing and scary hauntings
1) Poltergeist- Also know as “noisy spirits” are a type of haunting that individuals all throughout history have claimed to experience. It is important to note that, no two poltergeist spirits are the same. These spirits are able to completely manipulate the environment that they frequent in a physical manner. Physical interruptions to the environment that they are a part of include the possibility of physical attack, objects that appear to be moved or are observed moving with no physical assistance, and even severe cases of combustion that is considered to be spontaneous. It is believed that if there is a teenager who is female in the home, poltergeist activity is more likely to occur.
2) A Demonic Haunting - is especially frightening to the individual that experiences it. There is absolutely no “good” when it comes to demonic spirits. Naturally, the spirit that haunts in this type of haunting will not be human. In many instances of haunting that fit into this category, it was noted that the paranormal events were relatively small. However, as time progressed, so did the hauntings and various types of paranormal and unexplained activity. Careful case studies of the demonic haunting have concluded that these types of spirits like to attack individuals that are experiencing weaknesses on a psychological and emotional
Signs of Poltergeist and Demonic Hauntings
There are a number of signs of poltergeist and demonic hauntings. Listed below are some of the most common signs associated with these types of spirits:
1) Many will experience noises that cannot be explained. These noises may include knocks, banging, and similar types of noises.
2) Many may find that things are moved from the location that they originally put them.
3) Seeing objects, such as dishes, levitating and moving in and around the structure that is considered to be haunted.
4) Electrical complications, such as blinking lights and appliances turning on and off, may be experienced.
5) Animals may begin to act in an odd fashion. This may appear to be either fear or anger towards something that cannot be seen.
6) Feeling as if you have been touched, or are being watched is a common sign of a haunting that is poltergeist and/or demonic in nature.
7) If you see streaks of light, dark shadows, and other visual signs out of the corner of your eye, it may be a haunting.
8) If you smell something that is particular strange, or cannot identify it, you may have a poltergeist or demonic haunting.
9) If you have bruises and scratches on your body that you cannot explain, this may be a case of a haunting.
10) Visibly seeing an apparition definitely indicates a haunting.
Poltergeist and demonic hauntings are not favored among those that experience them. In most cases, these hauntings are considered to be intelligent and work to manipulate their environment. This can be a terrifying experience for the individual that is suffering through this type of haunting. You should learn as much as you can if you suffer from a haunting, or are interested in studying hauntings about the poltergeist and demonic hauntings.